Skip to content - The Official Portal for North Dakota State Government
North Dakota: Legendary. Follow the trail of legends
Go to the Department of Public Instruction Home Page
About DPI DPI Homepage DPI Contact Information DPI Employment opportunities DPI News DPI Forms Search the DPI website

Programs and Services
Academic Standards
Adult Education & Literacy,
   GED Services,
   Displaced Homemakers,

After School Programs
Child Nutrition & Food Distribution
Early Childhood Education
English Language
    Learner Programs

Federal Title Programs
Fiscal Management
Human Resources
Information, Communications &

Management Information Systems
Native American Education
Safe & Healthy Schools
School Counselor Programs
School Finance & Organization
Section 504
Special Education
Supplemental Programs
Teacher and Sch Effectiveness
Testing & Assessment
Title 1 Programs
ND Vision Services/
    Sch for the Blind

ND Sch for the Deaf/Resource
    Center for Deaf and
    Hard of Hearing

ND State Library
State Standards
Education Legislation
Administrative Rules
Frequently Asked Questions

adult_ed_logoAdult Education & Family LiteracyGED logo
GED Services
Displaced Homemaker Program
(English Language Acquisition and Adult Citizenship)

Valerie Fischer - State Director
Jolli Marcellais - Administrative Staff Officer

Phone: 701/328-2393
Fax: 701/328-4770

Additional Information

Most individuals earn their North Dakota GED High School Diploma by taking the required tests at a North Dakota test center. However, there are some people who test outside the state, but prefer a diploma from the State of North Dakota.
Persons Testing Outside of North Dakota

  • The North Dakota Department of Public Instruction may accept GED test scores obtained by a candidate who takes the test outside the state. The candidate must meet the age and minimum score requirement in effect in North Dakota at the time of application.

GED Test Scores Obtained in Another State

  • The tests must be taken at an official test center. An original certified score report (transcript) must be sent directly to the Department of Public Instruction by the Official GED Test Center.

GED Test Scores Obtained in Military Service

  • A certified transcript must be forwarded directly to the Department of Public Instruction by DANTES, the GED Testing Service or an official state testing agency.

Test Scores Obtained through the GED Testing Service

  • American civilians or foreign nationals who are stationed overseas at military bases and test through the National GED. Testing Service may use those scores to obtain a North Dakota Diploma if they meet all North Dakota requirements. The candidate must request the National GED Service to forward an official transcript and application to the Department of Public Instruction.


Adult Education and Literacy
Department of Public Instruction
600 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck ND 58505-0440
Phone: (701) 328-2393
Fax: (701) 328-4770

Valerie Fischer
State GED Administrator

Jolli Marcellais
Administrative Staff Officer


horizonal rule

Home    |    Programs & Services    |    Resources    |    Grants    |    State Standards    |    Education Legislation

Administrative Rules    |    Links    |    Frequently Asked Questions    |    Site Map   

This site is best viewed with Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher

Get FireFox    Get Google Chrome   Get Microsoft Internet Explorer     Get Adobe Acrobat Reader

Visit the Adobe website for PDF accessibility tools.

Send mail to if you have any questions or comments.

North Dakota Department of Public Instruction
Kirsten Baesler, State Superintendent
600 E. Boulevard Avenue, Dept. 201
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0440

Disclaimer Statement