Free and Reduced Price Meal Application Processing Reminders
- All families must receive an application
for free or reduced price meals.
- The Letter to Households must accompany the application.
The household must write their income information on the application
form - the schools should not have to do this.
- A determination must be made within 10 days of receipt
of an application.
- Children may be claimed based on last year’s eligibility
for the first 30 operating days of the school year or until a new
application is filed.
- All applicants must be notified of the determination.
Denied applicants must be notified in writing.
Benefits Prior to Processing Applications
Before applications are processed for the school year,
the local agency may claim and be reimbursed for free and reduced-price
meals or snacks, or free milk for these students:
- Students from households with approved applications
or Meal Benefit Notices on file from the previous year.
- Newly enrolled children from households with children
approved for benefits the previous year.
- Previously approved children who transfer from one
school to another under the jurisdiction of the same local agency.
If the applications are not centrally maintained, both the sending
and the receiving local agency must maintain a copy of the transferring
The above students must be allowed a 30 day carry-over of the previous eligibility determination. Once a current year application is received, it takes precedence over the previous year's application.